We talk a lot about the different types of pallet racking systems throughout our website. On our website, you can look at the different types of pallet racking system we offer, or read about the types of used pallet racking we sell and buy. However, if you are trying to figure out what type of pallet racking system you need to buy to get the most out of your warehouse facility, this is the post for you.
In order to figure out what type of pallet racking system you need for your organization, you need to answer a few questions about your business and warehousing facilities. The questions below will give you a good start to buying your pallet racking system.
- What is your storage to space ratio?
Different pallet racking systems offer various storage densities. Being able to pick which pallet racking system is best for you will greatly depend on how high your storage to space ratio is. Answering this question will allow you to best utilize the space in your warehouse.
- What is the weight of the pallets you will be storing?
The weight of your pallets is important to consider when choosing which type of pallet racking system you should purchase. Different systems offer different weight maximums, and in order to choose the best fit and most cost effective system, you should know the weight of you pallets.
- How will you need to access inventory from your storage system?
How you will need to access inventory from your storage system will largely determine which type of pallet racking system you need to purchase. When answering this question, you will need to consider the following:
- Do you need to access your entire inventory all at once?
- Do you need a queue (first in, first out) or stack (first in, last out) system?
- What type and how large are the forklifts that will need to access your inventory?
- How does your team pick from storage?
Does you team pick items off pallets or entire pallets at a time? This makes a major difference in what type of pallet racing system you will need to purchase.
- Does your company need to meet any association or government regulations?
Before purchasing any pallet racking system, you will need to consider any regulations your organization needs to comply with. These regulations can affect the type of storage systems you are able to choose from.